Project Log - March, 2003 
 Home

 Project News
 April 11, 2017

 Project Log

 Empennage
  Horizontal Stabilizer
  Vertical Stabilizer
  Rudder
  Elevators
  Rudder II

 Wing Kit
  Wings
  Fuel Tanks
  Ailerons
  Flaps

 Fuselage Kit
  Bulkheads
  Aft Section
  Foreward Section
  Top Fuselage
  Cabin

 Finish
  Canopy
  Cowling
  Electrical

 Firewall Forward
  Fuel System
  Engine
  Baffles
  Misc

 Miscellaneous
  Fiberglass
  Assembly
  Panel
  Finishing Up!

 FAQ
 Project Notes
 Project Summary
 Guestbook
 Other Stuff



  
March, 2003

March 1, 2003 - 1 hours
Took the right tank off so that I could cut and flare the fuel line. After I flared the fuel line I put the tank back on with a few screws to make sure that everything would fit, and allow me to fit the wing root fairings.

March 1, 2003 - 2.4 hours
Fit and drilled the wing root fairings. It is nice to do something easy and simple for a change.

The wing root fairing trimmed and clecoed in place. I just put the rubber on temporarily just to make sure it would fit.

March 2, 2003 - 3 hours
Started on the new rudder today. I got as far as cutting the stiffeners out and back drilling half of them to the left rudder skin.

The stiffeners backdrilled to the left rudder skin.

March 3, 2003 - 2.5 hours
Finished back drilling all the rudder stiffeners, deburred all the stiffeners and both skins and started dimpling.

March 4, 2003 - 2 hours
Finished deburring / dimpling the stiffeners and skins. Primed the stiffeners

March 5, 2003 - 1.75 hours
Backriveted the stiffeners to the rudder skins and started fitting the rudder skeleton pieces together

The stiffeners back riveted to the rudder skin.

March 8, 2003 - 3.9 hours
Drilled all the rudder skeleton parts together and started deburring / dimpling the parts.

March 9, 2003 - 1.75 hours
Finished the deburring and dimpling of the rudder parts except for the trailing edge piece. I still need to countersink that thing

This is what the new rudder looks like with one skin removed.

March 10, 2003 - 1.9 hours
Finished all the dimpling and countersinking and primed the rest of the rudder parts.

March 11, 2003 - 2 hours
Started riveting the rudder parts together. I got as far as the reinforcement plates the bottom rib and the counterbalance skin.

The rudder skeleton is starting to go together.

This modification was the only way that I could get in and rivet a couple of the counterbalance skin rivets on the rudder.

March 13, 2003 - 1 hours
Inventoried and stored the firewall forward kit. All I need now is an engine.

The firewall forward kit from Van's.

March 13, 2003 - 0.5 hours
Did a little more riveting on the rudder.

March 13, 2003 - 1.5 hours
Measured and measured and measured the lower attach points for the VS and finally drilled one of the holes. I got nervous about the bolt callout and decided to call Van's tommorrow and ask before I continue, so I finished up by building a little stand to hold the fuselage up while I install the engine mount for good.

March 15, 2003 - 4 hours
Finished the second rudder. I must say I liked the first one better. I did'nt care for the whole riveted trailing edge thing.

March 15, 2003 - 2 hours
Took the wings off and rearranged things to get ready to finish the tail installation, the fuselage and canopy.

March 16, 2003 - 2.25 hours
Drilled the VS attach plate (number two) to the HS forward spar. It shouldn't have taken two hours but I had already messed one up and I didn't want to mess up another one. I also got the VS aligned and a couple of the holes drilled that hold it to the attach plate.

March 18, 2003 - 1.5 hours
Finished drilling all the holes that attach the vertical stabilizer, and started working on the empennage fairing.

March 22, 2003 - 1 hours
Worked on the lower emp fairing. F-794A. After I tried trimming it so that the rubber channel would fit I decided that I would rather not use the rubber channel. It is just too dificult to get it to fit well. So I'll do the other side by just cutting the aluminum piece to fit close.

March 23, 2003 - 5.2 hours
Spent all day on the !@#?% emp fairing. I am much happier with the 'close fit' method for the lower fairing as opposed to the rubber channel. I think I'll reorder the piece for the other side and do it the same way. The fiberglass piece is a real pain and I still don't have it fitting right.

March 24, 2003 - 1.5 hours
Countersunk the longerons where the aft canopy decks will rivet. Clecoed the forward fuselage structure together to make sure that everything would fit. I am trying to get what I need installed so that I can paint the inside of the cockpit.

March 25, 2003 - 1.5 hours
Worked on finishing up all the little details inside the cabin that I seem to have left undone.

March 26, 2003 - 1 hours
Trimmed the plastic from the rivet lines on the top fuselage skin. Installed the nutplates in the bulkhead for the emp fairing and started riveting the top fuse skins on.

March 31, 2003 - 1.2 hours
Did some more riveting of the top skins.

<<February, 2003  Top  April, 2003>>

Disclaimer:
This web site and the infomation contained within it are for entertainment purposes only. The opinions expressed on construction techniques are my opinions only and should not be confused with proper construction techniques. There is undoubtedly more than one way to build an airplane and some methods that I use may or may not work in any given circumstance. If there is any question please call the kit manufacturer. I love to help but I am not responsible for the misuse of any information contained on this web site.

 March 3, 2016
 Email
 Home