Engine Log 
 Home

 Project News
 April 11, 2017

 Project Log

 Empennage
  Horizontal Stabilizer
  Vertical Stabilizer
  Rudder
  Elevators
  Rudder II

 Wing Kit
  Wings
  Fuel Tanks
  Ailerons
  Flaps

 Fuselage Kit
  Bulkheads
  Aft Section
  Foreward Section
  Top Fuselage
  Cabin

 Finish
  Canopy
  Cowling
  Electrical

 Firewall Forward
  Fuel System
  Engine
  Baffles
  Misc

 Miscellaneous
  Fiberglass
  Assembly
  Panel
  Finishing Up!

 FAQ
 Project Notes
 Project Summary
 Guestbook
 Other Stuff



  
Engine
The engine in my plane is a Superior Air Parts XP-360-B1A2 with an Airflow Performance Fuel Injection system and one Lightspeed Plasma II+ CD Ignition system in place of the right mag.

January 19, 2003 - 2.5 hours
Did a pretty major cleanup of the garage, and drilled the holes for the engine mount.

Engine Mount as it looked in the box.

Engine Mount installed on the fuselage. Now if I just had an engine to go on it.

July 20, 2003 - 0.5 hours
Steve came over and helped me unload the engine.

A four cylinder Lycoming will fit in a Ford Expedition

You can see the AFP purge valve and the LSE ignition coils here.

The mag has a plastic bag over it with the leads coiled up in there.

Here you can see the governor pad and the LSE crank position sensor.

The fuel pump is on the left and that hose that runs along the right side of the engine is the prop governor line that goes to the prop.

July 24, 2003 - 2.5 hours
Drilled some lightening holes in the center rudder pedal brace and riveted it to the firewall. Riveted in the firewall recess with a little Pro-seal. Mounted the battery box to the firewall. Installed the engine mount but I didn't get the bolts tight, I'll need some help on that one. I also tried to get the governor installed on the engine but I am not quite sure that I have the right studs. I'll check with the mailing lists tomorrow and see what gives.

The firewall recess is installed with a little proseal to seal off all those nasties that will be forward of the firewall.

Another picture of the firewall right before putting on the engine mount.

July 26, 2003 - 2.5 hours
Trying to get ready to hang the engine. I mounted the prop governor, and the governor control bracket. It isn't going to work like that because the the control cable will have to run through my battery. I don't really want to drill a hole in my battery so I need to figure out how to fix it. I installed the fittings for oil pressure, manifold pressure, fuel pressure and the oil cooler lines in the back of the engine.

This is the prop governor adapter pad with the studs installed.

The governor is mounted to the pad.

The propeller control bracket mounted to the governor. It isn't going to work pointing that direction!

This is the restrictor fitting in the oil pressure port. The fitting has an insert in it that has a really small orifice so that if I lose the hose it'll take a long time to lose all the oil in the engine.

This is the manifold pressure port on the back of #3 cylinder.

One of the oil cooler ports. The other is under the oil filter

July 27, 2003 - 6 hours
I figured that I would try to rotate the plate on the back of the prop governor to and it worked. I put the remote sender manifold on the firewall. Everybody started showing up for the engine hanging party and after some RV talk and hamburgers we managed to get the engine on the mount. It went really smooth and only took about a half hour. After the engine was on everybody that showed up decided that they didn't like my sawhorse under the fuselage idea and we decided to put it up on the gear. I hadn't put the wheels or anything together yet so we had to do all that. With all the people that were there it only took a couple of hours, but we didn't do the brakes or the wheel pant mounting hardware. We just did enough to get the wheels on. Thanks everybody that came over to help. Marshall, Steve, Charles, Clay, David and Darin all helped. I also have to thank my wife, Shannon, for the burgers and cake, it was a lot of fun.

I took the screws out of the back of the governor and rotated the back around to get the control cable bracket facing the right direction.

This is me getting the engine lift ready to go. Steve, Charles and Darin are in the background.

Getting the lift in place. Cherie is added to the picture.

Here we go.

Getting it in place.

Another shot of us getting it into position.

Almost there.

Close up of one of the engine mounts

One bottom mount in.

The engine is on!!!!

It's hard to stop looking it over.

And here it is on the landing gear.

I guess that's a pretty good days worth of work.

I put a battery on the aft deck to hold the tail down. It'll stay on it's own but it doesn't take much to lift it.

July 28, 2003 - 1.5 hours
Covered all the holes in the engine and made sure all the open fittings had covers. Put all the cotter pins in the engine mount, and while I was at it I put some cotter pins in the rudder pedals where I had run out earlier and since I was in the cabin anyway I went ahead and tightened up all the rudder pedal hardware. Spent some time sorting through drawings and cleaning the place up it was getting to be a real mess.


Disclaimer:
This web site and the infomation contained within it are for entertainment purposes only. The opinions expressed on construction techniques are my opinions only and should not be confused with proper construction techniques. There is undoubtedly more than one way to build an airplane and some methods that I use may or may not work in any given circumstance. If there is any question please call the kit manufacturer. I love to help but I am not responsible for the misuse of any information contained on this web site.

 March 3, 2016
 Email
 Home