Project - Notes 
 Home

 Project News
 April 11, 2017

 Project Log

 FAQ
 Project Notes
 Project Summary
 Guestbook
 Other Stuff



  
Priming the Pushtubes

I primed the inside of the small aileron push tubes with the spray can zinc oxide primer. It was a mess, by the time you get enough of that stuff in there where it will roll around and cover the inside it all over everthing and there is so much of it that it took forever to dry.

I decided to prime the big tubes with the two part epoxy primer that I used on the empennage. It is fairly thin and should coat evenly without all the mess. I was right it worked like a dream.

I first cut the tubes to length, deburred the ends and blew the crud out of them with some air. Then I cut a couple of fingers off of a rubber glove and taped that over one end to seal it. Then I mixed up a little etching solution and etched the inside and let it sit overnight to dry after removing the glove fingers. The next day I repeated the glove finger sealing trick and mixed up a batch of epoxy primer and swished it around inside each tube. Once I was sure that the inside was coated I lightly clamped the push tubes to the side of the work bench in the vertical position so that the excess could run out. Then I removed the glove fingers (with a cup underneath) and let the excess drain out as it cured overnight. This method worked really well.



Disclaimer:
This web site and the infomation contained within it are for entertainment purposes only. The opinions expressed on construction techniques are my opinions only and should not be confused with proper construction techniques. There is undoubtedly more than one way to build an airplane and some methods that I use may or may not work in any given circumstance. If there is any question please call the kit manufacturer. I love to help but I am not responsible for the misuse of any information contained on this web site.



 March 3, 2016
 Email
 Home