Project Log - October, 2004 
 Home

 Project News
 April 11, 2017

 Project Log

 Empennage
  Horizontal Stabilizer
  Vertical Stabilizer
  Rudder
  Elevators
  Rudder II

 Wing Kit
  Wings
  Fuel Tanks
  Ailerons
  Flaps

 Fuselage Kit
  Bulkheads
  Aft Section
  Foreward Section
  Top Fuselage
  Cabin

 Finish
  Canopy
  Cowling
  Electrical

 Firewall Forward
  Fuel System
  Engine
  Baffles
  Misc

 Miscellaneous
  Fiberglass
  Assembly
  Panel
  Finishing Up!

 FAQ
 Project Notes
 Project Summary
 Guestbook
 Other Stuff



  
October, 2004

October 2, 2004 - 0.75 hours
Sanded on the aft canopy skirt a little and put another layer of Super-fil on it.

October 2, 2004 - 2.5 hours
Started fitting the filtered air box to the engine. I started by fluting the flanges of the mouting plate and getting the sleeve that is on the AFP turned so that the inlet lines up with the opening in the cowling.

October 3, 2004 - 1.5 hours
Sanded the last of the Super-fil and put two more layers of fiberglass on the aft canopy skirt. I see much sanding in my future.

October 3, 2004 - 3.2 hours
I finished getting the neck of the FAB lined up with the cowling. It took some pretty sharp flutes to get the top plate to bend enough. Then I spent a long time shaping and forming the foam block that is used to form the inlet transition. After all that it only took a few minutes to layup the glass on the foam.

Used Bondo body filler to hold the foam block to the induction air inlet on the cowling

Test fitting the filtered air box. Note: The split ring is installed upside down here. It actually goes underneath that plate. I figured it out and fixed it later.

This is the beginnings of the shaping of the foam block for the air inlet

Once I layed the glass on the foam I put a rubber glove and some peel-ply in the hole and inflated the rubber glove to hold it all. It worked pretty well.

October 5, 2004 - 1 hours
Trimmed and sanded on the inlet duct for the air box. I think I am going to have to cut part of it and re do it but we'll see once I get it trimmed back to the right length.

This is what the inlet duct looked like right after the fiberglass cured

I think this will turn out nice.

October 7, 2004 - 1 hours
Trimmed and sanded on the inlet duct some more. Apparently I didn't get the cloth layed down very well on the left bottom so I cut that out, did the foam thing and re-layed some glass on it.

October 10, 2004 - 1 hours
I forgot to hook up the ground on the OAT probe for the Dynon D-10 so I cut that stuff loose and re-wired it.

October 10, 2004 - 1 hours
Sanded the inlet duct some more since I had to do that layup to fix it. I took the filter box off and started cutting and drilling the holes for the alternate air door.

October 12, 2004 - 1 hours
Finished the alternate air door in the air filter box.

This is the finished alternate air door. The black line is roughly where the inside of the filter will be.

October 14, 2004 - 1 hours
Finsished the air filter box.

Behold the finished airbox.

October 17, 2004 - 0.75 hours
I didn't like the cheesy little tab washers that came in the FAB kit for mounting the airbox mount plate to the AFP servo. I had some drilled cap-screws that were the right diameter and pitch but they were too long. So I cut them down to size and instlled them. Then I safety wired them. I really don't want anything to come loose in there and get sucked into the engine.

This is the filtered airbox mounting plate. I safetied the bolts to make sure they don't wind up inside the engine.

October 17, 2004 - 2.1 hours
Drilled the mounting holes in the fiberglass aft skirt and then started trimming and sanding to get it to fit just right. It looks like it is going to work okay. It looks a lot better than the metal ones that I made.

First trial fit of the fiberglass aft skirt

October 23, 2004 - 2.75 hours
Sanded and trimmed on the aft skirt some more. Discovered that the little 'doghouse' that covers the rail is not shaped quite right so I cut it out and layed up another with the little nylon slide as a plug.

This is the last of the layups on the aft canopy skirt with peel ply on top of it. The peel ply really keeps the finish work to a minimum.

October 24, 2004 - 1.5 hours
Sanded and trimed a little more on the aft skirt. This thing is taking way too long. I layed a couple more layers on the little 'dog house' and another coat of super-fil. I also spent a lot of time cleaning up. It's getting to the point where I can't find things anymore and that's not very productive. I didn't include the cleanup time in the database.

October 31, 2004 - 2 hours
Wired up the Aux alternator and the fuel pump.

October 31, 2004 - 0.5 hours
Still filling and sanding the aft canopy skirt. While I had some fiberglass mixed up I also glassed some stiffeners to the oil filler door too.

I useed some extra foam from the cowling to make a couple of little stiffeners for the oil door. I wanted to try and get by with one latch and since most people see some bulging on the oil door I decided on these little stiffeners.

<<September, 2004  Top  November, 2004>>

Disclaimer:
This web site and the infomation contained within it are for entertainment purposes only. The opinions expressed on construction techniques are my opinions only and should not be confused with proper construction techniques. There is undoubtedly more than one way to build an airplane and some methods that I use may or may not work in any given circumstance. If there is any question please call the kit manufacturer. I love to help but I am not responsible for the misuse of any information contained on this web site.

 March 3, 2016
 Email
 Home