Project Log - September, 2003 
 Home

 Project News
 April 11, 2017

 Project Log

 Empennage
  Horizontal Stabilizer
  Vertical Stabilizer
  Rudder
  Elevators
  Rudder II

 Wing Kit
  Wings
  Fuel Tanks
  Ailerons
  Flaps

 Fuselage Kit
  Bulkheads
  Aft Section
  Foreward Section
  Top Fuselage
  Cabin

 Finish
  Canopy
  Cowling
  Electrical

 Firewall Forward
  Fuel System
  Engine
  Baffles
  Misc

 Miscellaneous
  Fiberglass
  Assembly
  Panel
  Finishing Up!

 FAQ
 Project Notes
 Project Summary
 Guestbook
 Other Stuff



  
September, 2003

September 1, 2003 - 1 hours
Shannon came out and helped me drill the canopy side skirts to the side skirt braces.

September 3, 2003 - 0.75 hours
Dimpled and primed the side skirts and the side skirt braces.

September 7, 2003 - 5 hours
Finished countersinking all the rivet holes on the side skirts. Dimpled all the holes in the side skirt brace. I also trimmed the plastic away from the canopy in all the places where it contacts the frame and reassembled the canopy on the plane. Then I put the #6 screws in that hold the canopy to the side skirts. Started trimming and fitting the aft skirts. Made a strap duplicator for finding the holes on the aft skirts. I also played around with the alternator to see how it fits.

September 8, 2003 - 1 hours
Did a little bit more trimming on the aft skirts and started drilling one of them to the frame.

September 10, 2003 - 0.3 hours
I got a few toys from the mailman today and one of them was my Odessey battery, so I installed it. I also piddled with the alternator a little bit.

I used Van's optional Odyssey battery mount and it worked really well.

Here is another picture of the Odyssey battery.

September 10, 2003 - 1.5 hours
Shannon came out and helped me drill most of the rear skirt to canopy frame rivet holes. It looks like the thing may fit together after all.

September 13, 2003 - 0.5 hours
Finished trimming the aft canopy skirts.

September 13, 2003 - 1.5 hours
Mounted the starter and worked on some of the big wires.

September 14, 2003 - 3 hours
I had to trim a little corner off of the side canopy skirts because the edges were right on one of the canopy to frame rivets. Shannon helped me drill the last few holes that attach the aft skirts to the side skirts and I finished trying to get them to fit just right.

This is the aft canopy skirt.

September 14, 2003 - 1 hours
Mounted the ground block and started trying to find a place to put the fuse blocks. I started building some stand offs for the fuse blocks because I'm going to mount them on the firewall but I don't want all those nutplates on the engine side of the firewall. I'll rivet the standoffs onto the firewall (flush side forward) and mount the fuseblocks to the stand offs.

September 20, 2003 - 2.5 hours
I finished fabricating the stand offs for the fuse blocks. I also mounted the ANL current limiter base and figured out where I am going to put the alternator contactor, and made the doubler plate to mount it.

September 21, 2003 - 5 hours
Mounted the fuse blocks and the alternator contactor. I had to remove the battery box to rivet the stand offs for the fuse blocks. I started making the big cables.

Since I am using an internally regulated alternator I am putting a contactor on the big wire so it can be shut down.

The block on the left is the main buss, the one on the right is the endurance buss.

The small block is the battery buss.

I am soldering the big terminals on. This is what one looks like when done.

September 27, 2003 - 5 hours
Worked on big wires. Finished the Alternator wire. Mounted and connected the diode between the Main Buss and the Essential Buss. Made the ground wire for the battery to firewall connection. I also mounted the SD-8 backup alternator to the vacuum pump pad on the engine.

This is the vacuum pump adapter where I am going to put the SD-8 alternator. I had it off to check the seal.

This is a fusible link.

September 28, 2003 - 4.5 hours
Made the 4AWG cable for the main buss connection and passed it through the firewall with a rubber grommet and a stainless cover. Passed the battery buss feed through the firewall. I also mounted all the components for the SD-8 backup alternator.

This is the relay, voltage regulator and the capacitor that is part of the SD-8 alternator installation.

Here the SD-8 alternator is installed

The 4AWG wire that connects the main buss to the battery contactor.

The small square is a bridge rectifier. It is being used as a diode to connect the the endurance buss to the main buss.

<<August, 2003  Top  October, 2003>>

Disclaimer:
This web site and the infomation contained within it are for entertainment purposes only. The opinions expressed on construction techniques are my opinions only and should not be confused with proper construction techniques. There is undoubtedly more than one way to build an airplane and some methods that I use may or may not work in any given circumstance. If there is any question please call the kit manufacturer. I love to help but I am not responsible for the misuse of any information contained on this web site.

 March 3, 2016
 Email
 Home