Project Log - November, 2003 
 Home

 Project News
 April 11, 2017

 Project Log

 Empennage
  Horizontal Stabilizer
  Vertical Stabilizer
  Rudder
  Elevators
  Rudder II

 Wing Kit
  Wings
  Fuel Tanks
  Ailerons
  Flaps

 Fuselage Kit
  Bulkheads
  Aft Section
  Foreward Section
  Top Fuselage
  Cabin

 Finish
  Canopy
  Cowling
  Electrical

 Firewall Forward
  Fuel System
  Engine
  Baffles
  Misc

 Miscellaneous
  Fiberglass
  Assembly
  Panel
  Finishing Up!

 FAQ
 Project Notes
 Project Summary
 Guestbook
 Other Stuff



  
November, 2003

November 2, 2003 - 2 hours
Riveted the mounting bracket for the FlowScan fuel flow transducer to the floor and installed the transducer. Finished the fuel return line connection to the firewall.

This is the Flow Scan fuel flow transducer.

November 3, 2003 - 1.5 hours
Finished the starter cable, and played around a little with how I am going to run the wires through the little tunnel in the center of the floor.

Here is how I routed the starter wire.

November 4, 2003 - 2 hours
Took the Prop out of the box. It's a thing of beauty. I put it up on the work bench where I could get to it and started building the rear spinner bulkhead which is two parts riveted together but the hard part is cutting the strange shaped hole to fit around the prop.

Isn't it beautiful

November 15, 2003 - 3 hours
Primed the spinner bulkhead parts, and riveted the rear spinner bulkhead together. Then I mounted the bulkheads on the prop and made a template to trim the cutouts on the spinner. I used the template to cut the spinner. It took some time but it came out okay. I still need to trim the cutouts a little bit more but for now I just wanted to make sure that I wouldn't have to space the bulkheads any to get it all to work. When all that was done I mounted the prop to the engine. It is possible to do this alone but I won't do it again.

This is the rear spinner bulkhead installed on the prop

The prop with the front and rear spinner bulkheads.

I used a cardboard box to make a template for the prop cutout

I used the template to mark the cutouts on the spinner

The spinner fits pretty well but it will still need to be trimmed a little bit to handle the movement of the blades.

I temporarily mounted the prop on the engine so that I could get started on the cowling.

November 16, 2003 - 1.5 hours
I drilled the hinges that go along the top of the firewall that will eventually hold the top cowling half on.

The cowling is held to the fuselage with hinges. Here is the one that is at the top of the firewall.

November 17, 2003 - 1 hours
Started fitting the front of the two cowling halves together. Looks like there's going to be lots of sanding.

November 28, 2003 - 3.5 hours
I trimmed and sanded the top cowling half trying to get it to fit just right. The front flange seems to have a problem. It is tilted forward at the top and it looks like about a 1/4" is going to have to be removed or added to get it to fit.

It's hard to tell from this picture but the front flange of the top cowling is slanted forward at the top.

November 28, 2003 - 0.75 hours
I drilled a hole at the bottom of the pilot's control stick for a grommet to pass the wires through from the stick grip.

This is how I passed the wire from the Infnity stick grip through the bottom of the stick.

November 29, 2003 - 2 hours
I fit the bottom cowling on temporarily just to get a better feel for what it is going to take to get this whole thing to fit right. After much head scratching and sanding I have decided that the top cowling won't fit as is and I am going to have to cut it. Now how am I going to do that?

November 30, 2003 - 4 hours
Okay I think I figured out how to get this thing to fit. I'm going to cut it toward the bottom of the flange and move the bottom forward and then fiberglass it from the back. Today I spent a bunch of time getting it all back together. Then I made the cut and got it all positioned and ready to glass.

I taped a piece of 1/4" hardboard to the back of the rear spinner bulkhead.

After getting the top cowling positioned I marked it so I could get it back in the right place.

I cut the flange of the top cowl half.

Using a couple of popcycle sticks and some Bondo the flange is held in the right position.

The Bondo has cured and now I am ready to glass the inside to hold it all in place.

<<October, 2003  Top  December, 2003>>

Disclaimer:
This web site and the infomation contained within it are for entertainment purposes only. The opinions expressed on construction techniques are my opinions only and should not be confused with proper construction techniques. There is undoubtedly more than one way to build an airplane and some methods that I use may or may not work in any given circumstance. If there is any question please call the kit manufacturer. I love to help but I am not responsible for the misuse of any information contained on this web site.

 March 3, 2016
 Email
 Home