Project Log - March, 2002 
 Home

 Project News
 April 11, 2017

 Project Log

 Empennage
  Horizontal Stabilizer
  Vertical Stabilizer
  Rudder
  Elevators
  Rudder II

 Wing Kit
  Wings
  Fuel Tanks
  Ailerons
  Flaps

 Fuselage Kit
  Bulkheads
  Aft Section
  Foreward Section
  Top Fuselage
  Cabin

 Finish
  Canopy
  Cowling
  Electrical

 Firewall Forward
  Fuel System
  Engine
  Baffles
  Misc

 Miscellaneous
  Fiberglass
  Assembly
  Panel
  Finishing Up!

 FAQ
 Project Notes
 Project Summary
 Guestbook
 Other Stuff



  
March, 2002

March 1, 2002 - 2.5 hours
Finished installing the platenuts on the right wingtip. Now all that tip needs is the lights and the lense cover.

March 2, 2002 - 6 hours
Started fitting the left wing tip. Vern came over and helped me make a couple of layups on the fiberglass tail pieces. It really helps to see it done once, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be

The rudder tip was too long to fit the rudder so Vern helped me trim the back off of it and rebuild the back. This is a shot of the first layup.

Another layup and the rudder tip is starting to look like the original. A little filling and sanding and it'll be as good as new.

March 3, 2002 - 5 hours
Did a couple more layups on the tips of the HS and elevators. While waiting for the shop to warm up and layups to cure I finished the rib and platenuts on the left wingtip.

This is the mess of bondo that I used to hold the plat to the HS tip. This is to keep it the right shape after it is removed so the fiberglass can be layed up on the inside.

Here is the HS tip with a few layups of glass in it.

A little filler and some primer and that'll look pretty good.

March 4, 2002 - 1 hours
Sanded and formed a couple of the empennage tips that I had layed up before. It was too cold to attempt any mixing of resin.

March 6, 2002 - 2.1 hours
Unpacked all the fuselage parts, and started the inventory. There is a bunch of stuff in that box.

Parts of the fuselage. I just thought there was a bunch of stuff in the wing kit.

March 7, 2002 - 2 hours
Finished the inventory of all the fuselage parts and started storing them away.

March 14, 2002 - 2.1 hours
Finished fabricating all of the pieces needed for the firewall. Deburred all the firewall pieces and started drilling it all.

March 15, 2002 - 2.2 hours
Finished drilling out all the holes in the firewall.

All the firewall parts clecoed to gether (except for the recess).

March 16, 2002 - 3.75 hours
Dimpled and countersunk all the holes for the firewall. Etched and primed the aluminum parts of the firewall.

March 17, 2002 - 2.6 hours
Riveted together most all of the firewall except for the aux fuel pump doubler plate. I messed it up and will have to rebuild it.

Finished firewall excpet for the recess which is left out for access to the rudder pedels and the little fuel pump dubbler plate that I will come back to later. (I don't want to have to mix a batch of primer just for that little plate)

March 18, 2002 - 1 hours
Started putting the center section together. I started out by drilling the holes for all the snap bushings.

March 24, 2002 - 1.5 hours
Drilled, deburred and started riveting parts to the center section.

March 25, 2002 - 2.1 hours
Finished riveting the side pieces to the center section. Drilled and trimed the control column mounts and made the little spacer tubes for the center section.

Here's a picture of the spacer bars installed. Notice the flush side of the rivet is forward. If it was the other way it would interfere with the wing spar.

These are the control column mounts. The area that is removed is for weight savings and the tape was there to keep aluminum trimmings out of the bearing.

March 27, 2002 - 1.6 hours
Installed all the platenuts on the center section bulkhead and started preparing the cover support ribs to go on the center section.

March 29, 2002 - 2 hours
Finished up the center section bulkhead and started getting parts ready for the F-705 bulkhead.

Forward Side of the F-704 Center Bulkhead Assembly

Aft side of the Center Section Bulkhead

The center section is temporarily assembled with some fake wood spars for spacing.

March 31, 2002 - 7.5 hours
Fabricated all the little seat brace parts of the F-705 as well as the rear spar attach bars. Drilled and deburred all the bulkhead parts and primed all the parts.

I used a piece of angle iron and one of the particle board cut outs from the emp jig as a bending jig for the seat brace.

<<February, 2002  Top  April, 2002>>

Disclaimer:
This web site and the infomation contained within it are for entertainment purposes only. The opinions expressed on construction techniques are my opinions only and should not be confused with proper construction techniques. There is undoubtedly more than one way to build an airplane and some methods that I use may or may not work in any given circumstance. If there is any question please call the kit manufacturer. I love to help but I am not responsible for the misuse of any information contained on this web site.

 March 3, 2016
 Email
 Home